Friday, September 23, 2011

EINSTEIN ON DEATH

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."  

Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995


I wonder...is life really an illusion?  Are the Hindus right about this?  Einstein was probably very influenced by the Existential philosophers of the day. (We are all "victims" of our culture, no?)

I think the Existentialists make excellent points about relative reality as a personal phenomenon, but believe that there is no need to be polarized on this subject:  that is, either reality is relative or it is not.

I believe some things are relative and some objective.  Why not?  The more we know ourselves and our world, the closer we can come to objective reality.  And that is a worthy goal.  If we live in relativity only, we are walking through a dangerous swamp.  It is too easy to rationalize anything!

How can I argue with Einstein?  Geniuses are not right about ALL aspects of life.  And geniuses often disagree among themselves; why not me (not that I am a genius)?

What are your thoughts about relativity?  Is perception reality?  If you believe life is an illusion, what is your anchor in life?

SEE POST:  EINSTEIN ON DEATH

2 comments:

Ran Fuchs said...

You have not brought any argument just stated your belief. Einstein, on the other hand, did not speak here about reality, but about the nature of time. According to relativity time is another dimension, so why do we perceive it so differently?

PSACHNO said...

Hi ranfuchs, thanks for your comment!

I think you make a very good point. I did take a leap from time relativity to existential relativity. I think the connecting concept is his use of the word "illusion".

Time is part of life. If it is an illusion, as Einstein states, then, by inference (in my opinion) there are other aspects of life, or even life, itself, that are an illusion. Just some thoughts I had...

As I understand it, several prominent scientists have claimed to debunk Einstein's theory of relativity. If their claim is true, then it shows that even great minds can make great mistakes. (History has certainly proven that to be true!) That led me to justify using my own logic (even though I know very little about science).

The commentary was less scientific than philosophical.

Do you believe in relativity as it pertains to our view of the world? Do you think, as many do, that this world, our lives are illusions?

I'm very interested in your opinion.