Thursday, September 1, 2011

TE LACK OF TIME PERSPECTIVE


Ever hear yourself or someone else say,
  • “I don't know.  It just happened.”
  • “Why worry about that now.  I've got lots of time.”
Those statements may be evidence of the following thinking error (TE):

LACK OF TIME PERSPECTIVE (the three “I’s):  Means you have no realistic concept of time.  The past and the future are not considered before you act.  The three “I’s” are:

            Instantly:           “I have to have this right now”

            Impatience:       You become desperate and angry if your needs are not                                         met instantly.

            Impulsivity:      If you do not get what you want right away,    you are compelled to act without regard for the consequences of your actions.

            Example:          I need a ride to the party right now.  My friend is 10 minutes late.  I have to hitchhike to the party.  I won’t  think about the dangers of hitchhiking or the spot I put my friend in by not waiting for her.
           
            Payoff:              I do not have to delay gratification or tolerate frustration                                        or anxiety.

            Consequence:   I never learn how to deal with frustration, not knowing,                                        or uncertainty.  I put myself and others in many different                                        and dangerous situations given my refusal to think                                        things through.

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears. ~  Barbara Johnson

No comments: